Carmes Haut Brion 麗嘉紅顏容
THE HISTORY OF CHÂTEAU
LES CARMES HAUT-BRION
A long and exemplary history
The Carmes Haut-Brion estate goes back to the 16th century and has remained remarkably stable over the years. In 1584, Jean de Pontac, the lord of Haut-Brion, donated a large mill with surrounding meadows and vines to the Carmelite Order. This haven of peace and garden of plenty also had an unlimited supply of pure water thanks to a spring feeding a fountain called d’Eubrion.
The Carmelites remained the sole owners of the estate for over two centuries, which gradually acquired the name of « Carmes Haut-Brion » over the years. They also expanded their land holding to other parts of the Haut-Brion vineyard.